Monday 9 March 2015

Little things mean a lot

A newt strolling across our path
09.03.2015
Day 328
A Monday run: about seven miles in the Beckenham direction with Jacquie...a recovery run, easy paced, to allow for jet lag (her) and virus (me). Coughing, weak pelvic floor (me). Walking the dog (about six miles in total)

This was unusual: running on a Monday, followed by dogwalking and cycling. My hips and right knee protest too much. These next seven weeks...the run up to the big run, I am planning to avoid as much real work as I can, the better to prioritise the training, the stretching, the fuelling, the recovery and the mileage. The wider picture (the freelance journalist needing work, the self employed person and landlady needing to get her lands in order before the end of the tax year, the mother and soon-to-be grandmother caring for her family, the writer looking for a subject, the wife feeling a bit guilty) of my life can be eclipsed for 35 days or so while I focus on the matter in hand. It would be a shame to get to the start line feeling ill prepared and stressed.
It's amusing to reflect on the surge of joy I felt on our discovery of this little out-of-place amphibian (I am a total geek about pond life; it started with a project I completed aged 9, entitled 'Pond Life'. I can still visualize the crayoned and felt tipped title page). Another high point (literally) of the day was striding across the hills of Greenwich Park with little borrowed dog Colby. I suppose you could say that I am giving myself a bit of a break to train seriously. I am sure it will not cost me too dear, although the overdraft is a worry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment