Monday 2 March 2015

Brisk walks

Lincoln's Inn Fields
02.03.2015
Day 321
A day in the office. Walking/public transport commute. An hour's walking, or more. 

So I peeled myself off my tumbled bed after a torrid night of fever and catsick (!), still over full from last night's indulgence. Heroically, I made my way to the office, where I'm booked to do a week's worth of Easter receipe cards. Nice, undemanding work, and well paid. Sitting on my arse and eating lots of food – it's what a doctor would've ordered.
I am getting better, but there is no way I could have taken part in Vertical Rush tomorrw, so I sent out the email to my editor and team to cry off. I feel guilty, but I know enough about the event to avoid punishing my lungs further. After seven minutes or so of stair running you're spent, but most affected are your lungs. Everyone is coughing like a 20-a-day smoker at the end, and the pulmonary damage seems to last a good few hours. You drink bottles and bottles of water but the drying effect is pernicious. I really believe I'd have done myself a mischief.
So tomorrow, which looked like being a heavy training day, now has nothing planned.
Today has been a walking day. Commuting to stations and walking in lunch hour to Lincolns Inn. My journey to the station (I choose te Zone 2 Lewisham over my local Zone 3 to save a little money) takes about 20 minutes. I would like to shave off some minutes and am intrigued by those who are able to walk faster than me (there aren't many, I hasten to add). Today's competition was a youngish man with a big rucksack, who appeared to be sauntering while I felt temped to jog to keep up. He wasn't striding at all. Perhaps my chest infection has affected my walking speed. I certainly need to practise.

No comments:

Post a Comment