Saturday 28 March 2015

Fragile Thread, Part 2

Neil (second from the left) the most celebrated voluncheer ever
28.03.2015
Day 347
Day of rest, pre Paddock Wood Half. A walk/jog to Hillyfields to volunteer. 

A red letter day, both in Parkrun and personal terms. A celebrity in our midst, donning his hi-vis to give out tokens at the  finish funnel was Neil, the man who nearly died here on January 1 (see blogpost Fragile Thread). It was so miraculous to see him upright and healthy. He showed us a tiny red mark on his wrist, which is all the evidence that remains of the life-saving procedure he underwent to widen the heart valve, by inserting a stent, to ensure the narrowing that caused his heart attack on New Year's Day does not happen again. I've been looking it up and I believe what he underwent was coronary angioplasty
which also seems miraculous to me.
A day of wonder, then, because today I also became a grandmother. I've been studying the picture of my little grandson in the arms of my son's partner, a woman I barely know, all wired up and wanly smiling after gruelling labour (she was induced, laboured for hours, then she also underwent a life-saving, life-changing procedure, an emergency Caesarian). My son, 25 years old, and a father. My grandson, 8lb of miracle, over in Berlin. I will hold him in my arms in two days.
Quite a bit of running to do before then, though. This is a training blog, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment