Saturday 14 March 2015

Eat like a champion. Sleep like a champion. Train like a champion

Views. Not all of them beautiful
14.03.2015
Day 333
An 18 miler with some serious hills to contend with. It was run with great pleasure.

What makes champions? asked Doctor Andrew Murray this morning  in a well timed lecture before the main run of the weekend. Quite apart from showing us tempting pictures of the Kenyan altitude training centre, which at a mere 20 dollars per day is excitingly accessible to us lesser mortals, Doc Murray delivered some eminently sensible and doable training tips, which I will act on. Running buddies Sarah and Jannet agree that running Kenya would be a fine progression from running the Highlands in terms of self indulgent and delusional activity holidays. I have definitely developed a taste for them this weekend.
The likes of Doc Andrew Murray (a young 'un) and Fraser Clyne (nearer my age but a 'proper' athlete) have served to re-invigorate my quest for a decent GFA time on 26 April. More valuable than inspirational speakers, though,  has been the fact that the run today has restored my confidence. After the weakly, wobbly aborted 20 miler last Saturday, today's long run in the sharp sweet air of Scotland, where the stunning views were as sustaining as the half-time banana and icy stream water I drank with our new running friends, demonstrated that the marathon time I crave is tantalisingly within my grasp, so long as I run, recover, refuel, repeat sensibly for the next few weeks. It'll be an adventure that continues when I return to the Smoke, and I can dream about African adventures that may (or may not) happen in the future.
Endorphins rule. This has been a good day, and today's run has been the bes tof my life, so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment