Sunday 29 March 2015

Banana split

We're all mighty grateful for a place to convene and wee before the off






29.03.2015
Day 348
Paddock Wood Half Marathon. My time? 1:45.08. 

Not a PB but I was pleased by how strong I felt all the way round. I was a little delayed by crowds at the start (should have started at the front of 1:40-2hr pen, some were going far too slow), too much weaving meant my first two miles were over 8m/m pace. The next six or so were between 7:30 and 8m, then I was fatigued and blown by the strong winds on mile 11 (slowest yet, about 8.20). I think a more consistent 7.40 ish is achievable.
The weather conditions were poor, but not as crap as predicted.
This is the second longish run I have completed feeling strong with a banana down my trousers...oo missus etc (pleased to see you). Ok, tucked into the waistband as ready, vitamin rich natural fuel to help me through the last miles. I think it really helps. I stopped at all the water stations for a few hasty gulps, but did not bother with the last one, so ran the last three miles as if a parkrun (sadly a slow 5k time). I availed myself of all jelly babies proffered. And I think yesterday's mainly toast diet helped too.
All of the above is a strategy I will build on. Next stop, a 1:43 half.
I lie, very next stop is tomorrow's 13 miles at marathon pace. Will I manage? Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment