Thursday 29 January 2015

What do women want?

Mamas on their toes
29.01.2015
Day 290

Thursday morning session with Erik. It was freestyle: elastic hockey stick stretch, hickey shuffle, low hurdle fast feet, medicine ball thrust and squat, shoulder stretchy thing. Basically alternating upper back work (and mine is sore; I feel out of sorts) and fast feet work.

Then to Southwark Park, where I had three women participating in Buggy Runners today. 

My intention is to go to the running track for my own dynamics and tempo running session this evening at 7.15pm, which will be a massive effort, since fatigue combined with fresh insomnia has left me low and achey.  


Now my coach profile is up on the Greenwich Pilates/Runners website I feel I need to develop my own coaching style, so am preoccupied about how others see me. Do these young mums like a woman with a weathered face, of clearly mature years, advising on baby/post partum matters? Do they find it interesting, or alarming that their coach is soon to be  grandmother?
Perhaps people can't see past the 'certain age' thing and would prefer their teacher to be more of a physical role model, a slim, sexy, fitness buff who represents the 'after' picture they dream about during the campaign to lose baby weight and claim their body back.
Talking to them, I'm aware of no reticence, no outward distaste for the evident generation gap, but my pride in the fitness of my body in its 53rd year will clearly not resonate with a young woman in her 20s, as my newest client appears to be (just checked, she's safely into her thirties).
The fact remains, though , that I need to establish authority and display efficiency, somehow proving the 'All Ages' vibe that I want this running group to adhere to. This does not mean that I am any less committed to strength, vitality and looking good, but just on my own terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment