Sunday 18 January 2015

Pudding

Birthday cake is wonderful at 14 months or 95 years old
The Haydon clan, from Devonshire dumplings to Kiwi glamour  
17.12.2015
Day 278

Rest day on a Saturday this week, as I travelled down to Sherbourne for the jolliest of pub lunches to celebrate aunt's 95th birthday. Just a few dynamic stretches and yoga moves, followed by a mile's walk run to catch the train.

What I talk about when I talk about running. The desire to travel to New Zealand for the ultimate trail run was stoked by meeting a long lost cousin, who was born and brought up there. She's currently working in an impressively high powered job in the NZ diplomatic service. Melissa was self deprecating about her running, explaining that the demands of her job and the newness of her home in Kensington combined to prcclude any other training than post-work trips to the gym. Yet we talked about tramping and hiking and running mountain trails and coastal paths in the spectacular scenery of south island. I was mesemerised by the images she conjured. The savings that I already refer to as my New Zealand fund, prompted by my best school friend who lives out there, must needs double before I can make my 2016, post 'A' level results Bid for Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment