Saturday 3 January 2015

Mud, mud, inglorious mud

We won!

03.01.2015
Day 264

Cross country day: an 8km race shortened to 6km following a casualty (broken leg - junior women) and a course poached to shin-deep mud. some cycling either side. 

The Kent County Championships at Hythe, in driving rain for the second year running.  The course was shortened, but incredibly heavy going.  No really steep hills, but swampy, with sucking mud at every point. In some areas you struggled to pull your feet out of the thick, slidy mud. Fifteen centimetre spikes, for once, seemed a great idea. High hopes for improved endurance following a pre race snack of ganoderma coffee and three capsules of same taken after breakfast were rather dashed as I lost power. Despite leading my similarly paced teammate for the majority of the course, she nipped past me halfway round the final lap and I chased her down to the finishing funnel. That was a huge disappontment, as I beat her in training. Still, it was six to score, so I was in the medals.

No comments:

Post a Comment