Sunday 18 January 2015

Shifting sands

Shifting shades of grey


unveil a cold but sunny day

18.01.2015

Day 279

Sunday long run, from Poole Park and down to Sandbanks, including four miles on sand (slow, but harder) and a fast finish that I wanted to do at 8.30m/miling, but fatigue kicked in. 12.5 miles in total

How lovely to be down by the sea to ring the changes. It's good to make the most of tougher terrain, where possible, and sand running is hard. Still, it's a bit gutting to see how much slower the miles are when there are no buddies to push you. Last week, with 17 other VLM hopefuls, we were pushing the pace and I had to admit defeat at 8miles. Today I clocked 12 miles, many of them, however, over 9 minutes. I have to remind myself that the long slow run is supposed to be just that, one minute slower per mile than your hoped-for marathon pace (8.40m/m?)
It's dispiriting to be aching so much at this stage in the game, though. It is to be hoped that more hours spent sleeping/resting, and more calories consumed as protein will help to build up the legs and glutes sufficiently to cope with the 60mile weeks I'd really like to build up to before the taper. The sands of time....I'm running out of training weeks already. I think I need to aim for 35miles this week, by hook or by crook.

No comments:

Post a Comment