Saturday 10 January 2015

My stomach

 10.01.2015
Day 271

Surrey Cross Country league race at Wimbledon Common, five miles on extremely waterlogged trails. Spikes receive another mud caking and I run my hardest, but am easily overtaken by a woman I beat easily last weekend, in much tougher conditions. I am taking this defeat as proof that working full time in office is bad for me.

One of the books I am reading for menopause research is Dr Marilyn Glenville's Fat Around the Middle. I like it because she makes ample references to vegetarianism, and the stuff she says about stress and cortisol makes great sense. She also doesn't subscribe to the idea that being podgy round the middle is a natural, even healthy, side product of middle age. Being especially apple shaped post Christmas, I think, has slowed me down. However that does not tally with my performance last week. The difference today, though, was that I forgot my flask of Organo coffee. Can that blend really make such a difference? I took the fungal remedy in tablet form, but perhaps the coffee has a certain something extra.
Most alarming, Dr Marilyn publishes in the abovenamed book a multiple-question stress level l test, in which you gain points for every one of the listed stressful events you've endured I the past year or so. I had experience about 8 biggies - high scorers - so tallied a whopping 390 odd. Dr G advised I neede do take determined steps to reduce stress. My vow yesterday went some way toward that, but if I have no work, I worry about money. That's another dose of stress.
One step I have vowed to take today is to stop rushing my food, and snacking brainlessly on peanut butter from the jar while standing up. You read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment