Thursday 15 January 2015

Preaching what I practise

Buggy Runners, Southwark Park
15.01.2015
Day 276
A session with Erik at last. Accompanied by Hyacinth and Alana. The happy crew back again to bash tyres, perform squats, stretch out biceps and shoulder blades and upper back work. Easing back into the Team 6 training. Then back on the bike to my Buggy Runners session: two women, Paula and Teagan.

The office of Erik-lee is waterlogged, whipped by icy winds, forever at the mercy of the elements. This is traing en plein air. The Personal trainer's life is not a happy one at this time of year, unless, like Rob Blair, he has his own gym. Erik's and Rob's styles could not be more different, but I respect both men, and from both I have learned a lot. Going to coach new mums straight from having trained with Erik, I have his words of wisdom pulsing around in my head. Today we did some resistance band work, side stepping with the elastic tied around your thighs, then ankles. It really is quite hard after a minute's rep. I cannot have my clients working too hard for sustained periods. The limit on planking, for example, is 10 seconds. This is quite bothersome because you have to think up more and more to do, to avoid too many reps.
The plan for these hour-long coaching sessions is for 15minutes of warm up jogging/power walking, followed by dynamic stretching. The meat of the session is 30mins of drills, with water breaks and limb looseners, then 15 minutes warm down and stretch. An hour is a long time to kill. I need to find more drills.

No comments:

Post a Comment