Tuesday 6 January 2015

The first step is the hardest

There they all go, will I have the strength to join them?
06.01.2015
Day 267

Track training night after a hard day at work. Sleep deprived courtesy of coughing husband and mysteriously chiming 5am alarm. I am clearly going nuts. The session 2xmile warm up and warm down, in between these, 8x500m

Walking through the winter evening from the DLR station to the athletics track as layer of hoar frost begins to show itself on cars and kerbs, I could not be more disinclined to warm up and run the session. My stomach is still tender from whatever digestive/hormonal upset has bloated and stirred it, my body is cold and shivery and I am peepy eyed from nodding off over a particularly boring section of my Book Club book  on the warm DLR train.
Yet I knew that running, even in this perceived delicate state, would make me feel better. I was right, after the warmup and the first couple of reps, trying to chase down my new Scouse friend who has a marathon PB of 3:20 (oh, how I wish), I was enjoying the craic, and the effort, and the feeling of being warm and breathless. It's why I love running, and a message I want to get out there in a piece I'm writing about Thrive Alive

No comments:

Post a Comment