Monday 16 February 2015

Warning: marathon training may make you fat

Hard work, and you get dog tired
16.02.2015
Day 308

Rest day, travelled to Brighton to see my friend's new puppy, after a bit of a yoga/pilates, and a bit of a walk. Plenty eating.

Most people assume that all the running you do when training for a marathon means you can eat whatever you like without gaining weight. Fond hope. This will be my ninth marathon and, as with all the others, the extraordinary hunger and fatigue plays havoc with my healthy eating aspirations. I find myself shuttling from breadbin to biscuit tin to cereal box, cramming starch down my maw in a most unmindful way. Fact is, a few miles running most days does not burn half as many calories as most people think. And if you don't weigh much anyway (and that doesn't mean you look slim, believe me, as one lightweight who does not) you burn even fewer calories running a mile than the average 10-stoner. You get hungry, and the fatigue messes with your discipline. You gobble food, you don't sit down and chew properly, so your digestion goes all to pot, too. This means you don't sleep so well, and you get hungrier. Training, tiredness, sleep interruption, hunger, more training...so at this stage of the marathon schedule the weight creeps up. I crept fearfully onto my friend's accurate digital scales: five pounds heavier than I should be. I am full of toast and pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment