Saturday 7 February 2015

'Open your legs!' ....oooh er missus

It's pretty chilly up here at the start
warm women at the end
07.02.2015
Day 299

Race 4 in the Surrey Cross Country League; 2 laps (5.5miles) Farthing Downs. Big hills, deep mud.


We all love a bit of encouragement when we're up to our arses in mud, and sweating like pigs in our underwear, but to hear a coach shout 'open your legs' as a crowd of comely women race past...well it all sounds a bit dodgy.
I think he was trying to stop us, fatigued as we were mid mile four, develping that knock-kneed, droopy hipped stance that comes to non-elite runners as they tire.
My new mantra 'hips high and aligned, shoulder loose and low' (thanks, Martin Yelling) ran through my head on a loop as I slipped and slid, in trail shoes rather than spikes, on the marshy cambers. Last time I ran hree, my 15mm spikes dug viciously into the ball of my foot as I gunned down the flinty hill, but I had under estimated their truly wondrous grip on wet, muddy slopes. I wasted precious seconds trying to steady myself as I skidded over on two r three occasions. I felt I was going faster than I did in December, but my Garmin at the end begged to differ. Ellie beat me again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment