Tuesday 3 February 2015

Wake up, butt!

03.02.2015
Day 295
Training with Erik, guilty because I was the only one and he had to get some equipment out of the van especially (above): hopscotch jumping to open out hip flexors, bicep curls, weighted squats, arm resistance bands....
Lovely morning warming activities in the snow.
Kent AC this evening, which at 4pm on a snowy February afternoon, doesn't look attractive...
(postscript: we did 1mile warm up, strides, then 1200, 800 and 6x400m, then 1 mile warm down round the park...achey now)

A light icing of snow and the unpleasant memory of corpsey fingers frozen on yesterday's bike ride was enough to make me forgo two wheels and jog up to Hillyfields instead. A bit of a guilt trip in the event, as I discovered that Erik was waiting for me and was happy to lay on a special, snowy session just for me. Gladdened by the subsequent rosiness on such a wintry day. Bumping up the activity levels while offers of work come there none is sensible in theory, but a body that's done 52 years should perhaps have more care taken of it.
Erik posited the theory, which most trainers and physios support, that the seat (literally!) of most injuries and twinges is the gluteus maximus and the rest of the arse muscles. We 'joggers' (hated word, 'non-elite runners') think we can achieve the high mileage required for marathon training without serious attempts to engage lazy glutes 
It's imperative that I click that link, and make that link between my indolent arse and the catastrophic aches and pains that I wake with every morning. If I do not address the problem of an under used posterior muscle I will be looking at injury shattering the optimism of this training year. This fact was brought hone to me following a rather gloomy warm down after the session this evening with a fellow Kent AC marathon hopeful, whose training plan has been scuppered by the re emergence of an old calf injury. If the niggle becomes proper pain on training, she will have to defer her race place.

No comments:

Post a Comment