Monday 2 February 2015

Cold Comfort Farm

Surrey Docks Farm  

02.02.2015
Day 294
Rest/recovery day, but some cross training is necessary, so cycled to Surrey Docks City Farm to leave fliers in a probably futile bid to swell Buggy Runners numbers at nearby Southwark Park. So a little under an hour's cycling, whimpering with numb-fingered cold and self pity

There's much in the media about the bogglingly unfair distribution of the world's wealth: 1% of the world's population earn more than the other 99% put together. Always ever thus? According to the economists, the income gap has never been this stark. Living in London with only eight years' worth of mortgage left to pay until I own my semi detached townhouse in a laughingly 'almost desirable' area, I am one of the lucky ones - am I in the 1%?
However, these are straitened weeks for me; trying to live on my coaching, writing and, er, dogwalking gigs alone and with no properly paid work on the horizon. Such a dearth of office work should make this year's the most assiduously followed Marathon training plan I've ever had on the fridge. However, as sod's law dictates, this lack of busyness professionally is sapping my enthusiasm for the exra curricular. This could well have been a running day, since I did not run yesterday (I don't think walking 18 miles really counts as LSR) but I feel physically affected by unemployment. All the chores, admin, and, yes, training I could be spending time on I feel too jangled to do. Life seems constrictive, symbolised by the discomfort of my too-tight trousers after a couple of weeks of ill advised 'fuelling' for unsatisfactory running. The poorer and less in demand I feel, the more moribund and hopeless. It's not just a plan on the fridge I need, it's a life coach. This was a blue Monday. Tuesday must needs be rosy and pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment