Friday 20 February 2015

Breastfeeding while running a marathon? Can't imagine that

Buggy runners in Greenwich Park this morning
20.02.2015
Day 312
A six mile tempo (ish) run with Kent AC buddy
Buggy running with 5 clients in Greenwich Park
Not very well this evening - bent double over griping IBS. This needs sorting out

Sitting here enduring intestinal spasms that feel as bad as childbirth (although my last expereince of that was 17 years ago, so I may well have lowered my threshold since then) I am remembering a conversation I had with one of my running mummies this morning. She, like me, is running the marathon on 26 April. She, unlike me, has a PB to be proud of (3:30, in Washington) and she, unlike me, is still breastfeeding her baby daughter. She says she will arrange for her husband to have daughter ready to feed about mile 13 (although that's Tower Bridge, where the biggest crowds are, so I suspect they'll choose a  more thinned out place to convene). The thought of squeezing lactating bosoms into a sports bra and running makes me wince (most of the buggy runners do this every week). The thought of running a marathon and nourishing a baby (a known energy sapper; 500cals a day, they say) seems superhuman. I am in awe. When I was feeding my babies, running was not even on my radar. Still, being a running granny, on the eve of the National Cross Country championships, even while doubled up in pain as I am right now, makes me feel a little bit proud,

No comments:

Post a Comment