Friday 27 February 2015

Positively ancient!

Gorgeously Greenwich
Emma Warburton's view from Lewisham

27.02.2015
Day 318
Ill. Greenwich for Buggyrunners. Cycling and walking, a little jogging and stretching

So out of sickbed I drag myself to coach eight young mammas toting buggies full of baby. While in the unwonted sunshine up there on Lovers' Lane I feel euphoric and benign. The new runners gel really well with my stalwarts and there's a lot of laughter and chat. They laugh at my jokes. When the subject of the marathon comes up I mention, en passant, my GFA place. They seem suitably impressed, so I gabble my usual self deprecation about how being ancient of days, and a weak and feeble woman, gives you special status in the eyes of the Virgin Money London Marathon. One young woman asks if I feel patronised by that "aw, she's so good, for her age" label.
Oh no, I say, you are the age you are.
I mean it too,
I'm saying more and more often to young women these days 'when you get to my age....' and I quite enjoy showcasing my age and experience, because it's packaged in physical fitness, is why.
I am still vain. Even at my age!

No comments:

Post a Comment