Sunday 30 November 2014

Back of the pack

South London Harriers organise the Pirie 10
Kent Women (and honorary woman Hugh) prepare
The fast women. And me.
Cake and tea post race
30.11.2014
Day 230
A ten mile race across Farthing Downs, through Happy Valley. A  lovely, muddy, hilly experience. I did it at the back of the pack in 1:24 or thereabouts. I thought I'd be able to do more sub 8 minute miles than I did. The hills slowed me right down, I just couldn't keep anywhere near the other women. Depressing. 

The race is named after Gordon Pirie, once the pride of South London Harriers. The man who started us off announced with pride 'there is absolutely noting on offer round the course. He meant no water stations, gel collections, people with Jelly Babies etc. Just as old-school athletes like  Gordon would have run it. It's wonderful to run in an event close to London that costs just £8 to enter, and has so few rules, regulations, frills, goody bags and all the rest of that mallarkey. People who take part in idiotic challenges such as Tough Mudder and the rest pay about £40 to get as muddy as we did this morning. This was the real deal.
 I was hugely intrigued by the V55 winning woman, who I think ran the course about 10 minutes faster than me. I need to train specifically for fast cross country. It can start with more practise on the Hillyfields Parkrun course. Do not be discouraged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment