Friday 21 November 2014

Habit forming

Early runs in the dark will become a necessity over the next three months
21.11.2014
Day 221
A three-mile recovery run at 6.30am, starting comfortable and upping the pace to a third mile that ended at 7.49m/m. Realisation that I need to be able to run steady 8:35s for the full 26m on 26.04.2015 has galvanised me into action, hence the decision to up mileage, plantar fasciitis/related aches permitting.

Twenty days ago I wrote a blog entitled 'Hangs head in shame', in which I (pretty typically) made some fantastic claims about the way I shall clean up some shabby habits and adopt some new, healthier ones. It was, of course, after a bad Parkrun time.
It is with some chagrin, then, that I note that life is even more chaotic, because procrastination, easy distraction, lack of motivation... gluttony, apathy and self-pity have been allowed to grow rampant. I have not checked them. It is quite difficult to enumerate what exactly I have achieved, both professionally and as a runner.
It's interesting to note that three weeks have passed since I promised to shake it all down and get going. The perceived wisdom (erroneous, it turns out) is that it takes 21 days to make some resolution into a habit. If it were true, the 1 November vows would be the apogee of abject failure.
So, this is a lesson in not being too reactive. I ran a bad race. I am not a bad runner, and making extravagant claims about changing ingrained habits is pointless. I have four months to up mileage - sensibly, in small increments - and match that with appropriate amounts of sleep and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment