Saturday 22 November 2014

Cross country - muddy marvellous

This morning I volunteered at Parkrun
Then I was the slowest in the team at a cross country race in Wimbledon
It was muddy
22.11.2014
Day 222

A couple of miles walking - to Hillyfields Parkrun - where I operated the timing scanner
A cycle to Forest Hill, to catch the train to Wimbledon, where I took part in a gruelling, hilly, muddy five miler. My plan to stay under 8m/m pace and finish the race in under 40 minutes backfired, and I tipped into the 42s. I was last in my team (although the slow ones weren't there today). However: Could Do Better is the verdict. 

How to do better? Follow a strict diet of chia seeds and protein shakes?
Run more miles per week?
Stretch more?
More speed work?
More cross training?
Try a spinning class (two of the fastest women do at east one session of spinning per week)

All of the above?

It is always these gloriously clubby cross country races that leave me desperate to raise my game. It's because you cannot feel smug beating all the fun runners. Because there are no fun runners. Nonetheless, I still love cross country. I hope I always do. Hell, people pay upwards of £30 to get this muddy, yet as a clubrunner I get the races free, and the camaraderie comes as standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment