Thursday 6 November 2014

The trained and the trainer

Squats and slams Hillyfields



Pull down and brace up Southwark Park
06.11.2014
Day 206

Clear, blue, cold weather. All muffled up for the first ten minutes, until a few minutes of ball and tyre slams, battle rope, squats, biceps and tricep weights and underground necessitate the shedding of a few layers, and you can't imagine feeling cold again. After an hour in Erik's playground, it's over to Southwark Park to preach what I have practised. Thanks, Erik Lee.

Try as I might to remember Erik Lee's bons mots, especially the ones that make me guffaw whilst trying to bicep curl the weights, they slip my mind as I go through the day, and when I'm writing this, I'm wracking my brains to recall the amusing 'circus' comment he made this morning. There's even more reason to inwardly digest his advice these days, as I've returned to coaching, and I'd love to do more.
My clients are a group of newish mothers, who come with their babies in the buggies for an hour's worth of running training in Southwark Park. I'm the latest coach to be recruited by Ellie Brown of  Buggy Runners, fame. There's something very satisfying about leading a training session while still buzzing with joie de vivre having sweated through your own. It's physical work, though, and would be tricky to do full time.


No comments:

Post a Comment