Thursday 13 November 2014

Baby steps

While babies snooze, mamas work out

13.11.2014
Day 213

Cycle to meet Erik and my gang, but all is quiet in Hillyfields. That's when I turn on phone (!) belatedly discovered a van-breakdown text from Erik. So, straight to Southwark Park for a short warm-up run and session on the outdoor gym until my Buggy Runners show up, after which, a cycle to work, then cycling to book club in Tooting.

Three Buggy Runners turned up for the session today. I worry that I make them do too much. One woman was slightly defeated by the 3-minute 'no walking, but you can jog,  run', but another loved it, and kept up a pretty decent pace. Some of the step ups they had to do at the bandstand were quite challenging, but alternated with shallower stairs. It was pleasing to hear that they thought the session would make them ache, but they rate the ache. I know what they mean. It's fascinating to think harder about easing into training gently, stepping up the effort week by week, and it helps my return to training too. I am beginning to panic about never being able to regain my summer speed, but I just need to concentrate on all the running peripherals: the cross training, core work, cleaning up the diet and focusing on the clean, uncompromised sleep. I like to think I'm learning from the breakthroughs experienced by these new mums as they work back to fitness, and that they're learning from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment