Tuesday 22 April 2014

Up to speed

22.04.2014
Is this day 9?
One of my favourite cover lines on a Runners World magazine is 'run like a happy dog'. I think of it while I try to up my speed round Hillyfields on Parkrun Saturdays. I thought of it again when I took this picture for my daily tweet this morning. This little black dog's turn of speed while dribbling the ball with his nose was impressive.
It wasn't a great day. I turned up to train with Erik, but he told me he'd tried to call to cancel, since it was pissing down and my fellow trainees had bailed. So I cycled through the rain to the office where I am sub-editing for a few days. I felt slow and dull, jealous of people with their proper jobs and the holiday pay and sick paythat comes with PAYE. My computer kept crashing and I could not think of the right words for anything. I had vague indigestion from the weekend's excesses. By the time 6pm came aorund the last thing I wanted to do was run round the track. However, I am a seasoned enough club runner to know that however mojo-less you feel on the warm up, you feel at least 100 times better by the warm down. So it was today. I chatted to my mates, everyone discussed the London Marathon,  new members were warmly welcomed, post marathon curry was planned, strides were completed, then a session of 2k, 1200m, 1000m, 800m then 400m followed by the warm down. It was hard work, but by trying to push the pace on track I forgot all my woes and insecurities and feelings of inferiority and the fact that I was 51 and my career is non existent. I forgot all of those things and ran like a happy dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment