Sunday 27 April 2014

Greenwich Park Hills

 27.04.2014

That's me in the shadow, an autumn picture this one, as today's weather was a little less glorious. Greenwich Park provides me with the hills I so need to sprint up if I am to improve over the coming year. When I trained for the Snowdonia Marathon in 2010 (4hr 16min)  I took to exchanging riverside flatness on the long runs to several circuits of this park, with its steep climb up to the observatory. My plan is to start timing my ascent of the longest and steep incline, so that I can run up and jog down for intervals and improve the uphill bit. The trick is to try to keep your form: knees up, head up, small quick steps and pumping arms (socket to pocket). Hills, taken well and regularly, are as important as speed sessions for overall strength and stamina.
Today, a Sunday(LSR day)  I did another 10 miler, trying to stick at 8.30m/m, not really achieved, in truth.
What hurt? Hips, thighs, shoulders. I felt tired and underslept. I ate my usual Sunday packet porridge (a once weekly treat) before the run, and yogurt, chocolate milk and peanut butter on toast after.
I've refuelled pretty healthily today, and have taken in a large amount of calories, including raspberry ricotta cake. I have this multiple 10k circuit Conti Lightning Run coming up next weekend, and the 5k Assembly League in Hackney on Thursday, so must need prioritise sleep and good food (plus Easter chocolate).

No comments:

Post a Comment