Wednesday 16 April 2014

Depleted

16.04.2014
 More than two weeks after giving blood, I am still feeling fatigued. I give a pint of my fabulously rare red stuff (B rh-)every four months or so because I'd like to match my old Dad's record of frequent donation. He was gold standard. I'm nearly on silver. I like to donate shortly after running a marathon, because I know I won't have any serious running to do in these recovery weeks and it' a handy way of checking that I'm not anaemic, even though I'm feeling like death warmed up and cannot walk down the stairs.
The marathon I ran a couple of Sundays ago was in Mallorca. It was an all-women race instigated by the inspirational Kathrine Switzer, who ran a marathon against the rules in 1967. In those days men who organised sporting events believed that if women ran further than 10 000m their wombs would fall out. Anyway, it was a superbly organised event, which I greatly enjoyed being a part of, but my time was disappointing. I'd imagined I would beat my PB and run 3:50, but I was four minutes slower than my PB, which is one of the reasons I've decided to train seriously, and record the effort thus.
Last night's track training was hard, because I cannot seem to recover from the blood letting and the 26.1 mile run 16 days ago. We did 1m warm up, strides, then 1600m, 1200m, 1000m, 800m and 400m intervals with 200m recovery between each, Then a mile warm down. I struggled to keep up with women I usually beat. Today I ache and feel feverish and coldy. This is not a great beginning to my Serious Year. I'll keep on keeping on.
Last night's training

No comments:

Post a Comment