Tuesday 15 April 2014

Kent Athletic Club







15.04.2014
It's Tuesday. Track night. My main training session of the week. I am (obviously) one of the senior members in my club, which numbers among its gloriously fit females some sub-three hour marathoners. I watched a beaming Amy Clements run 2:58 at VLM two days ago. She is 20 years younger than me. There are so many benefits to being in a running club, but at 6pm on a track night I always feel apprehensive, overtired and anxious. How stupid do I look, at my age, toiling round, trying to improve my 400m times? Probably pretty stupid, but I love it anyway, and I love my training buddies. Your running friends encourage, support and buoy you. They are not bored by running talk.  My family are.
A typical track session may be 1mile warm up, 3x100m strides, then, say, 6x800m, and a milewarm down to finish. It's HIIT (high intensity interval training). You have to get knackered, sweaty, heart-hammeringly uncomfortable to improve. My serious training is dependent on this. The happy thing is that you feel extraordinarily full of bonhomie on your return. I'll be singing in the bath in a couple of hours. Tra la la.

No comments:

Post a Comment