Wednesday 10 September 2014

Take a tech break

Too many expert opinions, and I'm losing sleep
10.09.2014
Day 152

All day I've been speaking to experts about recovery. Two, a rehabilitation therapist and a sports nutritionist, contradicted each other (about that 30-minute window for refuelling post run). I took copious notes and found it hard to marry quotes to the brief I rather belatedly double checked.
My favourite chats have been with Nick Littlehales about sleep cycles and daylight and today, with Professor Ian Maynard of Sheffield Hallam University. He explained the ways in which your head can get in the way of your body as a runner, and how elites and leisure runners need to pre-empt the post-race blues by planning for the dreary aftermath. I have filled my social schedule to such an extent that I've left little time for work and sleep. Glaring at a screen for much of the day, as well as talking on the phone have left my head buzzing. The R&R plan, so infinitely sensible and childlike in its simplicity, seems impossible to practise. The misuse of our precious bodies that comes from moving from childhood and its easy movement and reparatory sleep, to contaminated, toxic adulthood, so neatly described by Littlehales, seems all the more evident to me, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment