Monday 22 September 2014

Running the accounts

I took my thoughts to Greenwich Park. And my coffee in a thermos.
22.09.2014
Day 164

Training seriously requires a person to be selfish. You need the sleep, the food, the time for the warm ups pre run, the run itself, the stretching post run, the endless showering, the crosstraining, the circuits, the club nights, the club races, Parkrun....Some of this stuff can be put down as work, the features I'm researching for Women's Running magazine and other media employers. Mostly, though, it's a hobby that's gotten out of hand.
What it does give me, however, is a certain simplicity of purpose. I don't spend much money on this out-of-control hobby. Most of my kit comes through running for the magazine, or it's hard won. I don't go out for drinks, or meals that much. I spend no money on commuting, because I cycle everywhere (there's your crosstraining). In fact, this training seriously has become my social life. I catch up with many friends through going out for a run, or walk with them. I'm not interested in fashion, or home furnishings, or getting my hair coloured. Cheap date. A fit one, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment