Thursday 4 September 2014

podiuming and medalling: grammarians look away now

Top team
04.09.2014
Day 146

A red letter day for this old bird. It was the last Assembly League of the season. We fielded a large, strong team for Kent AC to secure our trophy. Kent Athletic Club will finally replace Dulwich Runners on the coveted shield. I ran reasonably strong, despite having had a knackering day, and secured my medal as first W50. I was inordinately proud. Most childishly, it was incredibly satisfying to claim first place medal ahead of Clare Elms. That does't mean that I can run anything like as quick as this elite athlete. She did not run as many times as me over the season, so I collected more points with my 6 pedestrian 22m and 23m for  5km (she can do them in 18m or so). I have always been obsessed with Ms Elms, who is the tanned, sinewy apotheosis of mature athleticism, quite the opposite of freckly, flabby me, but the medalling has made me happy, and the conviction that I can improve has been underlined by the extraordinarily youthful V60 woman Ros Tabor, and indeed V70 and even V75 men coming up to collect their medals. Inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment