Saturday 27 September 2014

Supporting role

Support all the way to the finish and (below) not the most flattering of selfies
27.09.2014
Day 168

Today was the final race in the Women's Running 10k Series. I was originally down to be the 55minute pacer for the race, but the editor double booked the slot, so I fetched up with no role to play, until the sub70m pacer had to pull out through injury.
Running to a very specific pace, albeit a slow one (we're talking 11-minute miles here, when I usually try to keep within 7:30m/m) is a good discipline and requires a reliable Garmin. It was odd but refreshing to run so slowly, and I particularly enjoyed chatting with the women I paced. It was hilarious to leap about doing a 'fly, my beauties' type exhortation about 200m from the finish, with the idea that my little group of followers would enjoy making it through the finish ahead of their target time. It reminded me, too, of how much I miss coaching. I do hope the women I advised found it useful, rather than patronising.
Plantar fasciitis causing so much grief, I've weakened in my resolve to run lighter, and ordered some cushiony gel shoes from Asics.

No comments:

Post a Comment