Saturday 20 September 2014

Middle-aged men who run

Siggy awards Adele the walnut whips of triumph
20.09.2014
Day 162
Equinox

The skies were iron grey over Hillyfields, but the air was humid. Every finisher in the Hillyfields Parkrun was bathed in sweat.
It was hard. My first race after the Stonehenge  accidental ultra, so I made excuses for myself. The plantar fasciitis seems to have wormed its insidious way from heel to collarbone, so I feel crocked. Yet first woman, Caroline, ran a proper ultra two weeks ago. She scored a PB today. My result, below, demonstrates I am running backwards into trouble.Yet I cannot stop running. I've already agreed to do the Bournemouth Half marathon on 5 October, because I know I'll be in Bournemouth that weekend and I may as well take up a free place. I am an idiot.
Meanwhile, at the finish line, two middle aged male buddies, one who is nearer 60 than 50, celebrate PBs and talk about going sub 21 minutes. They say Tuesday night training at the track, which they have just started and I have been doing nigh on 5 years, has revolutionised their running.
Why has it not done the same for me? Why is a middle aged woman so very much slower than her male partners? The older man is known to fellow parkrunners as Ronnie's 'running husband'. At this rate he'll be asking for a divorce.










Hilly Fields parkrun results for event #109. Your time was 00:23:27. 

No comments:

Post a Comment