Saturday 14 February 2015

'Me hormones again, doc' More menopause for you women runners

Southwark Park Parkrun
14.02.2015
Day 306
One 5km Parkrun completed in 
Southwark parkrun results for event #77. Your time was 00:22:26.
Cycled there and back

Menopause, or perimenopause (until one has been period-free for one year, one is still in the peri- warm up act) does not make you ill. That I asserted, with some vehemence, in The Guardian  some weeks ago. Yet these training weeks are being compromised by sleep disturbance (overheating, IBS discomfort), which I'm wondering is to do with my hormones.
I met a fellow Kent AC women marathon hopeful here this morning; she ran 19 mins and something (she is 12 years younger than me). She had ran 17miles yesterday. I cannot blame fatigue for my slowness, and I don't really think I can cite age as a factor, given that runners of my age and much older record much, much faster times than me. Yet I am told that I am running much faster this year than previous years, (my Age grding is 76%, I'd like to get it to over 80%) so after about eight years of training, I can still improve. And I should be pleased that 22.26 is this year's PB, which I can look forward to smashing when my head, stomach, guts and, yes, ovaries, are feeling better.

I am still haunted by the words of a managing editor I once worked for, who threatened she would never listen to hormonal excuses for skiving (she was talking about Time of the Month, which has been on the airwaves these past weeks, thanks to Laura Watson and Jo Pavey - well done those women for getting the subject on to the airwaves, it has to be discussed, because even if you sail through periods like the woman in white jeans of the advertisements, you still have to faff with tampons, and some women lose a significant amount of blood, necessitating iron supplements).

The Old School, sharp elbowed feminism of the 1980s perhaps took Thatcher as its model - don't be a womanly success, man up - has had its day, but I am a construct of that era, and I sincerely believe that much hot air (literally, given the power surges?) is expended on the horrors of menopause. You do have to ride these hormonal rodeos, don't let them floor you. but don't be ashamed of change. Periods do stop, and the hormones that make that happen do cause a bit of a kerfuffle. The best thing you can do is stay as active as you can. The proof of that pudding was apparent at 9.22am, because I felt much, much better for having run. That is the most important lesson of all.

1 comment:

  1. Texas Menopause (by Pink Women’s Center P.A ) was created so that women would not suffer, as many often do, when reaching this transition in their life. Our main goal is to explain to you how your body and mind works when reaching 35 years of age and beyond (Perimenopause and Menopause) and get you on the right track to a hormonal and nutritional balance.

    ReplyDelete