Tuesday 9 December 2014

Cold outside? Perhaps, but it feels good

Training with Erik

On a cold and frosty morning
09.12.2014
Day 239

Finally, a session with Erik that hasn't been rained off. Plenty boxing and battle rope, weights, lunges, ball slams and quick feet over a low hurdle (is that what has made my plantar fasciitis flare up again?) Then a run to Greenwich to pick up Colby the dog for a run around Greenwich Park. Walking home, and back to Greenwich. A few miles covered.

A personal trainer whose work is all outside suffers in the British winter. Doomladen headlines in the tabloids predict a 'weather event' for the next three weeks, involving raw cold, high winds and blizzards. For people like Erik, this means no income. He told me today that people have let their payments lapse, given the harsh conditions. Erik cannot pay his bills. Yet today, in the frosty cold, we had a great session. I arrived (late, I'll admit, my body being in hibernation mode these days) bundled up in many layers, wondering if I'd ever get warm. As I went through the circuits the coat, fleece, gloves and hat came off and I felt so much better. An hour later I was singing at the top of my voice as I cycled over to Greenwich, sweat still dripping down my back.  There's a lesson to the fair-weather trainers who have left poor Erik in the lurch.






No comments:

Post a Comment