Monday 15 December 2014

A bowl of nine oranges

The day started merrily
15.12.2014
Day 245

Monday rest day. A walk to the station. A walk back. Some stretches on rising. Drained, dehydrated, upset stomach. The legacy of a busy weekend?

My work at a magazine based in Loughton started today. I was so worried about being late I set off at 7.15am. As a result, I yawned through the morning and felt muddle headed and achey. Alarmed by these stressy symptoms, I read up about feeling drained on a Feng Shui website. One of the instructions really amused me. It suggested I place a bowl of nine oranges on my hall table, so that the citrussy, uplifting scent will perk me up as I walk into the house. It's a lovely suggestion, striking a chord to one whose house has been fish-and-cats'-pee scented for the past few days. It's definitely true that such odours and associated intimations  of slutdom can make a body feel depressed and useless. Just buying some oranges, selecting an attractive charger plate, and standing back, sniffing, and enjoying the sensation. It all sounds good. Perhaps at this time of year one should shove some cloves into the fruits make it extra festive.
When I turned up, bright and early, the reception of the building where my adopted magazine is based had a 1950 radiogram playing an LP of carols. The office workers decorated that tree an hour or so after I took the snap. The baubled stag's head made me laugh. Everyone was wearing Santa outfits, as the other media companies in the building were having their Christmas celebration today.
The magazine I'm working on is all about the home you love. I do not love my home, as it is smelly, dirty and cluttered, I feel jealous of the readers selected to show off their aspirational cribs, so find myself sitting on my hopeless arse feeling resentful. Now that is draining.

No comments:

Post a Comment