Monday 5 May 2014

Bank Holiday Glumday

05.05.2014

After the endorphin rushes, the festival atmosphere, the lack of sleep, excess of exercise, great outdoorsiness of the past 24 hours, there's a creeping sense of heaviness taking over. The day was spent in the impressive rus in urbs Hackney garden to celebrate the birthday of an old friend. Multiple glasses of bubbly, excessive amounts of pasta, walnutty salad and chocolate cheesecake , lots of people to catch up with....but the fatigue kicked in as the feasting went on and I found myself sitting wanly over a cup of tea trying to concentrate on what people were saying to me. It's no surprise that 18 miles of cross country running, following a freezing night in a sleeping bag with a broken zip in a tiny tent, topped off by a long and arduous train journey home that took me until 1am, would render this exhausted body rather susceptible to unlimited alcohol and rich food. My senses are dulled, my brain fuddled, my stomach bloated. It's time to reboot. This has been a rest day and no mistake. Obviously (to quote new snooker champion Mark Selby). Fillin' up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment