Friday 6 March 2015

Peak fitness in 40 days

Greenwich Park Buggy Running day
06.03.2015
Day 325

Yoga/pilates matwork. Walk to Greenwich, then session with The Greenwich Buggy Runners: warmup jogs, drills and stretches

My year-long countdown tells me that I have 40 days (and 40 nights) to become Brilliant for Age. There's room, I suppose for for at least four really long runs ('all about time on the feet'), up to 10 hard speed/tempo sessions, and, provided the body can withstand the assault, some 'miles in the bank'.
Last night's attempt at tempo wasn't encouraging. If I can't run just six miles comfortably at 8.30m/m by now, it's a little too optimistic to set that as a constant for the full 26. Virally bludgeoned, and as a result lacking in self belief, I look askance at fellow runners and feel health envy.

It was a tonic, this morning, however, to sacrifice a morning's lucrative subediting work to coach a Buggy Runner session. I had 11 clients today – a pleasing number, and the son shone most benignly on our efforts. Being out in the open air, striding up and down those hills, rather than three hours' glaring at a screen, must help dispel the viral load in my body. If I can arrange to spend the next 40 days mostly outside, fuelling well and moving well, there's a chance I can regroup and replenish energy levels, without panicking myself into attempting silly mileage to play catch up. This means that if the long slow run scheduled for tomorrow does not go to plan, I'll have the sense to curtail it before injury strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment