Sunday 8 March 2015

I wish I had what she has


Would that I could run like her
08.03.2015
Day 327

A rest day. A wee bit of cycling and walking, standing and watching. Energetic wishing

Today was Kent AC's flagship 10 mile run, The Sidcup 10, which incorporates the British Masters Athletics Federation (BMAF). Club members are politely requested to help run it, not run it: ergo, make cakes, don hi-vis and marshal, give out medals, rather than try to net a PB on this fast, flat course.
I marshalled with a couple of other women, coughing my guts up and feeling the after effect sof yesterday' exertions in my right knee, worryingly, although the sunshone was warm and the mood generally perky.
I passed the time looking at other runners' styles and analysing the effortless running of women I am familiar with, who pick up all the prizes in the races I enter, and seem so lean and light. It is especially hard to watch when you feel under the weather and panicky about how your speed and stamina seems to abandoned you. The woman pictured above is local legend Clare Elms. She's a machine built runner, really good looking too, and only a year younger than me. I am a flabby, wheezing Couch-to-5K beginner compared to her. Watching her sail past, her perfect running form: heels back and up to the powerful backside, sturdy, lean, unwobbling core, posture perfect –  makes me painfully aware of my lack of discipline in training, my intimate relationship with cakes and ice cream, my jowls, my spare tyre, my weak glutes and pelvic floor.
The anwer is, of course, not to sit here and compare, but to make the decision to shake off this self-indulgent lassitude and get to work on my fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment