Monday 6 April 2015

Fun for all the family

Family fitness event, Greenwich Park
06.04.2015
Day 356
Easy running: to Greenwich Park and back. Short runs and drills with children. About 4miles.

Bank Holiday Monday. I heard a news item on the radio the other day about how DIY, once the activity of choice on Spring bank holidays, has fallen out of favour, and younger couples are finding other things to do on a precious day off. However, I'd no idea that something like this - a chance to run around with one's anklebiters and paying for the privilege - would be so popular.   I'm glad it is though, as I earned a bit of pocket money as Coach Ronnie for the hour-long family fitness session, organised by my boss Ellie Brown of Greenwich Runners
Young mummies and daddies took part in the fun and games with their children: drills, challenges, dynamics, then they ran a specified route while I took their littleuns around a shorter circuit to meet up with them, then we all cooled down and stretched.
At the risk of sounding like Old Mother Time, new parenthood has come a long way since I was toting toddlers and babies in the 1980s and 90s. I can't imagine what my husband would have made of such an event. I'm half jealous of the younger women I met today, who are so confident in the knowledge that their men will not only tolerate this kind of thing, but actively enjoy it. It was like the parents' race at school sports day this morning: competitive dads trying to edge in front of one another while running a hilly circuit of Greenwich Park, cheerfully high-fiving their children as they ran to the mustering point at the bandstand. I had fun stirring up the rivalry, cheering on the dads on opposing teams and watching them trying to regain their nonchalence as they flung themselves sweatily onto the grass between efforts. Certainly beats a theme park. Or a trip to B&Q.

No comments:

Post a Comment