Thursday 9 October 2014

Cut to the core

Plank to upright plank to plank. As many as you can   
Erik gets the Vertimax out for the big guns

09.10.2014
Day 178
Session with Erik Lee, Team Shape-U
Plantar fasciitis so painful I am considering taking all of November off running and sticking to swimming. That sentiment still stands. Am going to try a core session run by a fellow Kent AC coach this evening. If it involves much running, though, I'm stymied.

Erik-Lee gazes into the middle distance and sniggers
'Mickey Mouse!'
Hyacinth, Alana and I follow his gaze, to another personal trainer stationed a few conker trees along. He's encouraging a rather stout woman to swing her leg about. I see no ears or big white hands,
'Those sorts of exercises' declares Erik 'are glamorous exercises. She's not tiring out her muscles, so she can carry on all day long like thatand there'll be no noticeable difference to her body.'
That's a bit harsh, I think. I can see the woman is heavily built, so might need more gentle stuff to improve her range of movements. On days like today I worry that I look like her, anyway, however much I sweat and press and cough and hold the contraction. When I was doing those Bosu Planks, up and down, my shirt kept riding up to reveal that porridge udder like belly flab that obeys gravity and depresses the middle aged woman. How I would love to have the abs that give you the flat, sucked in undercarriage that gives the plank its name. Presumably, at 51, after three pregnancies, that is never going to happen, however good for My Age I tell myself I am. 
Footnote: Core session attended with Ted from Kent AC
This evening I ran through the rain to the floodlit track, full of woe caued by my injury, and dismay at the bladder sensitivity that comes back with such vengeance for a certain time every month.We did a few drills, effective stretches for full range of movement, practising pocket to socket' arm movements for that final 100m burst. It was good, and very useful, It may be an dea to attend these while my foot is stopping me from training. My sprints, heel kicks and high knees were compromised by my internal stress, however. So it is just as well I have made positive move toward addressing this worrying atrophy. It is very weird that just fourdays ago I ran my little socks off with nary a dribble, yet a jog to the track caused flood warnings today and yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment